Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::   ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
Historical Miniatures Wargaming Ring - A ring devoted exclusively to historical miniature wargaming and allied materials.

Login   Signup

Historical Miniatures Wargaming Ring

Manager: hmw1863
A ring devoted exclusively to historical miniature wargaming and allied materials.

Sponsored Links

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Greeks versus Celts, round 2 - 09/15/2013
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mTMTQhzJKx4/UjXokar2nvI/AAAAAAAABCE/t34WKmCVzSs/s320/20130912_200615.jpg

M's Celts and my Greeks had fought once before, and it's documented on this blog. That time, it had been a fairly even slog, with two tough front lines bleeding but refusing to break. Our last game, though, was a quick, decisive murder. Read on! M's Celts: a ragged but vicious mob.  My Greeks: ordered, disciplined warriors, the sword arm of civilization. In the back, the Golden Fleece.  More Greeks.  Keep an eye on that Greek medium cavalry.  After a number of failed commands from the Celtic commander, I charge the medium cavalry into a warband which is still sitting on the Celtic starting line. This is risky; the warband is going to be rolling approximately as deadly a hand of dice as I am (med cav supported by a few light cav). BUT if my cav gets beaten, there was a good chance it would retreat, damaged, and still be of some use to me later on. If the foes lost the battle, they were likely to get driven off the table. After a round or two, that was what happened. The dice went my way, the gamble paid, and in a round or two the cavalry had driven the warband off.   Now the cavalry had the position to threaten a second warband, this time in its flank. Still scary because they're doing this without support; the hoplites aren't in position yet.  Now the phalanx clashes with the warband.  Both of us are using the pig's head formation.  My hoplites' toughness, especially that of these Spartans, gave me a minor advantage in the massed melee...

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2019 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy